Outreach and Prevention Services
Outreach and Prevention Services is a multi-faceted program that extends beyond the walls of our offices and into our campus community. CAPS staff have expertise in clinical and multicultural frameworks and develop innovative ways to address the mental health needs of undergraduate and graduate students. We provide wellness initiatives to Penn students, faculty, and staff aimed at promoting students’ emotional wellness. We believe that students’ mental health is strengthened by self-awareness, knowledge and skills, and that we all thrive in a socially just climate and culture that values diversity, inclusion, and care for one another.
What are our goals?
We strive to improve students’ emotional resiliency and to strengthen our community of care, compassion, and collaboration. We hope to reach students who may not traditionally utilize counseling services.
We promote college student mental health through initiatives that focus on:
- Suicide prevention
- Supporting student mental health and referring to resources
- Increasing self-awareness and help seeking behaviors
- Reducing mental health stigma
- Fostering community building and belonging
- Improving wellness and coping skills
- Strengthening our campus partnerships
What services do we provide?
- I CARE trainings open for the Penn community each semester
- Interactive workshops on a range of topics related to mental health, wellness, and diversity and inclusion. For a list of CAPS workshops, click here.
- Brief presentation that includes an introduction to Wellness at Penn (CAPS, Student Health Service, Campus Health & AOD)
- Resource Fairs
- Tabling events where we connect with attendees and provide informational materials
- Panel topics related to mental health, diversity and inclusion, and ways to support student mental health and wellness
- Support to individuals or groups affected by crises and unexpected or traumatic events
- Campus Partnerships
- Collaboration with programs/departments and student groups in the promotion of mental health and wellness initiatives
How to request our services?
Use the Outreach Request Form below to request support for your mental health initiative. Please submit the form at least 2 weeks in advance to allow for staffing and preparation.
If you would like to request a Health Education Workshop from Campus Health on topics such as sleep, sexual health, or nutrition, please go to the Campus Health page.