The Counseling and Psychological Services at the Univerisity of Pennsylvania strictly protects the confidentiality of information shared during sessions. We are ethically committed to confidentiality and federal/state laws require it. This means that even your attendance in counseling is kept private and confidential.
State and Federal law states that there are four exceptions to this general rule:
- You may request (by means of a signed release) that your counselor reveal information to other individuals or agencies of your choice.
- In instances where there is imminent danger of serious harm to yourself or others.
- In cases involving physical and/or sexual abuse of children or endangered adults.
- Where otherwise requested by subpoena or mandated by court order or state/federal law.
ELIGIBILITY FOR SERVICES
All Penn students in online programs have access to specific services at CAPS, outlined below:
- Students taking all classes online may access a counselor through the 24/7 phone service, ProtoCALL. Call 215.898.7021 and select 1 on the main menu.
Students enrolled in classroom programs have access to all of CAPS services, including 24/7 phone service, ProtoCALL.
- LPS students enrolled in classroom programs are eligible (LPS online program, phone support only, through ProtoCALL)
University of Pennsylvania faculty or staff who request an appointment at CAPS will be directed to the University of Pennsylvania’s Employee Assistance Program.
- This policy will apply regardless of concurrent student status.
EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL POLICY
In an effort to practice within the expertise of our licensed professions in the most ethical way, CAPS staff does not provide assessments regarding the need for emotional support animals. CAPS staff will provide a clinical summary only for active clients.
Click here for the Obtaining/Releasing Information Form. This form is used for you to instruct us to talk to others about your care at CAPS.
CAPS will provide a record or summary to a third party, such as an insurance carrier, or to another treating professional providing mental health services. There is a process to help you with your request. It is important to note that in keeping with the ethical and legal standards of confidentiality, your written permission is necessary to share any information about your treatment at CAPS. Written permission includes a CAPS Release of Information form. (More below regarding this form)
Generally, CAPS issues a treatment summary or letter outlining services. If you are requesting an entire record, we would want to discuss this process with you. We consult as needed within the staff of Counseling and Psychological Services. If you are requesting completion of a third party company’s form (insurance application, for example), we still need your signed CAPS Release of Information form.
Please follow the steps below:
Complete a CAPS Release of Information form and return it to CAPS one of the following ways:
- FAX: (215) 573-8966
- Email attachment: email@example.com
- USPS: CAPS 3624 Market Street, First Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2615
If you have a third party form to be completed, please complete your portion and send it to CAPS with your CAPS Release of Information form.
RETURN FROM LEAVE OF ABSENCE
All requests to return from a leave of absence begin with your academic advisor. After you make contact with your advisor, you may be directed to CAPS as part of the return from leave process. If you require our involvement in this process, please click the link below to download the checklist and required forms.
Return From Leave Paperwork